Friday, September 14, 2012

Day Trip #6 with Grandma Hobbs-Ballenberg

Ballenberg is an open air Swiss museum near Interlaken, Switzerland where they have taken all the different style of Swiss houses and brought them to one place.  They also show what life was like back in the day.  They make their own cheese, bread, & honey like they did back then.  The demonstrate how to weave a basket, make lace, cook, make pottery, saw wood, etc.  It was pretty amazing to see.

The cheese slowly cooking.  A man said he had to stir it for hours and to add the different flavors they had different twigs burning nearby.  
 Eating the delicious home made bread.
 Clara outside one of the homes.
 Alex & Allison and a beautiful Swiss home.
 A real beehive.  You can see the bees using the mirror.  They have a little opening that leads outside.
 Swiss cow bells...how I wanted to take one.  Still looking for my perfect bell.
 Grandma in the oldest Swiss home.
 Riding an old merry-go-round made out of wood.
 The animals didn't move up and down, but it was amazing to see it still ran.
 Grandma eating her first bratwurst!
 Bowling!  That ball was really heavy.
 Huge barrels to hold...wine...or water for us.
 My favorite Swiss home and it is from a town next to ours.
 Watching the saw mill at work.  It is 100 years old and still runs great.
 Clara taking in a peaceful moment in the church.  Bless her!
 They even make their own chocolate!  Yummy!
 We did a lot of walking, but had a great day!

1 comment:

Heather Wade said...

I am finally catching up on looking at blogs! I love seeing all your adventurs! Your mom is still as cute as ever! We were just in Provo. I haven't been there in so long. I thought of you many, many times. Miss you dear friend! Hopefully our paths cross soon!